BHA Tree Initiative
Bonnycastle Homestead Association (BHA) is planting trees . . . again!
Three years ago BHA volunteers planted 65 trees around the neighborhood, and they are thriving! This fall, leveraging a MSD grant, BHA is again offering canopy trees at a significantly discounted rate. You choose the species and where you want new trees (front yard, back yard, side yard), and volunteers from around the neighborhood will plant and mulch the trees in late October.
Why are we doing this?
Louisville’s tree canopy is at 37% and losing 150 trees per day. Many of the trees in BHA were planted 50+ years ago. By planting NOW the gaps left when our aging trees are removed can be filled and the beauty and livability of this community preserved for future generations.
Why are trees so important?
- Absorb storm water before it enters the sewer system
- Reduce erosion
- Reduce flooding by soaking up rainwater
- Provide shade and moderate temperatures
- Remove carbon dioxide from our air and add oxygen
- Reduce noise levels
- Provide wildlife habitat
- Increase neighborhood property values